Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Lesotho Update #2

March 17, 2006

This is my THIRD attempt to send this e-mail. I think I made a mistake in one person's e-mail (Roy Chineh - that's you) and it corrupted the whole thing (typical of Roy, really). I hope that it actually comes through, otherwise, I'm going to have Matt be the middle man and send this off to you.

Good morning to you all, It's past 4 p.m. here, so about 9 a.m. in Ottawa. I had trouble with the first mass e-mail, but it appears that it made it's way through the truly world wide web and arrived finally! I hope this one makes it too. Today was another nice, leisurely day. I was able to have my second out of three sleep in days. This is the grace period I get as a new arrival! I once again had difficulty falling asleep, so many things to think about - but once I did fall asleep, I slept in typical Shauna-fashion, like a rock.

I awoke at about 10 a.m. to Sister Maria coming into my room. She is the same eldely nun who greeted me my first night and made me dinner. She is very smiley and giggles a lot. It turns out that another couple of volunteers are coming to the Guest House and I had to move my things to another room. She and another nun were happily tidying up the guest house and they are the very best way to start the day, you can't help but smile back and laugh. I repacked my essentials and moved over to the Help Lesotho office, just down a small hill and moved bags to my new room there. I had some computer work to do for Peg - copying out phone numbers and other contact info into a database on her laptop. Once I finished that, there was lunch being served to the Youth Against HIV/AIDS group who are being trained next door. There was lots and I was invited to share. It was DELICIOUS - I loved the rice, mashed pumpkin and fake chilli. There is a popular (and inexpensive) way to feel like you're eating meat here, you boil water and add a package of a tofu-based, spiced mixture to it. It's so tasty. I'm going to bring some home to see if it's just tasty cause I'm really hungry, or if it's really that good! You never know, for example, I hate bananas in Cananda - I can't stand the consistency, they make me gag. Yesterday I bought one from a little child street vendor and ate it ravenously. Same with camping, the most simple things taste so good!

My big job for today was to teach 'M'e Mojaje how to write a letter on her computer. 'M'e Mojaje is a cheerful (although, who here isn't?) woman who operates the Leribe Craft Centre right next to the Help Lesotho office. It takes a minute or two to get between the buildings, as you have to trek up and down a tiny hill - not a totally direct route. The "lawn mower" (a cow with a leash on his horns) grazes between the buildings. I also saw a really dirty sheep this morning. 'M'e Mojaje and I had a wonderful time on the computer - I helped her to write her letter. She did everything herself and was really excited about spell check. We learned that Sesotho (the language of Lesotho) words are NOT in fact on the Microsoft Word dictionary. Weird. After we finished, I found out that she wanted to send the letter via e-mail. I gave her a lesson on "attachments" in Microsoft Outlook. We couldn't get online for quite some time, so we had a chance to practice her new skills. She'll do great. As a backup, however, I wrote her a list of instructions for the new things we had just tried. It's funny - both times I have used computers here it has begun to rain. My timing is perfect.

This e-mail is being written from 'M'e Mojaje's Craft Centre, which is staffed entirely by disabled women. They make beautiful mohair scarves, sweaters and hats, among other things. She has a computer in a back room that is protected by a tiny lock similar to the ones used to lock my suitcases (which survived the trip, wheels intact). She hooks it up to the internet when she needs it. The internet is painfullly slow - compared to what I'm used to, so I've opened up a solitaire game on the side as I wait for things to update! I'm having trouble learning PATIENCE...that will be my key task here. Just to slow down and take things easy, as they come. Things don't move as fast here and I have to get used to that.

I'm also really hyper right now, filled with excited energy, ready to get started. I will be travelling by public transport into Ficksburg, South Africa tomorrow to buy soccer balls (the ones that were donated were to large to transport, and the ones available in Leribe fall apart after three games, allegedly), and mail some letters for 'M'e Mojaje's son. I will take a bus to the border, and then walk into this border town. I will return on bus well before dark. Everyone is inside by the second the sun sets. It is not dangerous, per se, but the reputation you earn by being out after dark is not so good. Makes for early nights and early mornings, a much more healthy way to live!

On Saturday, I head to Pitseng to explore a town where HL does many projects. Then, on Sunday, I am hoping to visit the Tsepong Clinic, an AIDS clinic in Leribe run by Ontario doctors and nurses. On Monday morning I leave with Penney Place up into the mountains (Wendy - she loved her letter and loon!), to Mahlekefane. I cannot wait. I am not sure whether I will be living in a rondevel or a mud hut that is rectangular. I'll make sure to take lots of photos. Things are a little unclear, as I am the first volunteer to stay in Mahlekefane for a long time. Anyone who has visited in the past has stayed for under a week, and I'll be there for six. This is really what I'm here for and I am thrilled that it's coming up. After Mahlekefane, I will go to Thaba Tseka to work at Paray Primary school for about 5 weeks. This is the school that is paired with Fielding Drive in Ottawa (where I frequently supply teach). The drive to Mahlekefane takes over four hours and is supposed to be beautiful, breathtaking, one of the most beautiful in the country.

We will go almost all the way in a rented van, and the last leg will be taken in a hired 4 x 4 that will be able to get us up the steep, unpaved roads. Yee haw!

Thanks for your e-mails and best wishes, I'd love to hear updates from Canada!

To the MacDonald/Jansen family - You are always on my mind, I know you head to Toronto today and I am thinking of you every moment. I have the nuns praying for Anna every night.

No comments: